Knee Replacement Surgery Questions and Answers
Read our below Q and A page for more information on knee replacements. Our doctor in Massapequa, NY are here to provide you with top-notch care. Call today or request an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
Knee replacement is a surgical procedure that replaces damaged portions of the knee in order to restore proper function. People who would need a knee replacement often suffer from chronic pain, limited range of motion and limited mobility. Thankfully, there are experienced medical professionals who can safely and effectively restore health to your knee.
If the benefits may be minimal, sometimes a patient is considered too young for a knee replacement. This is because in younger patients, the implant used in the procedure can wear out over time and the knee’s function will decline again. Younger people who receive any kind of joint replacement surgery are advised against participating in certain physical activities that can cause more wear and tear on the joint that was replaced.
For a total knee replacement, a patient under 50 is usually considered “young”. However, in recent years, more people in this age group have received knee replacement surgery. In the majority of these patients, studies have shown good outcomes. According to one study, only a quarter of patients have knee surgery prematurely. This information has made many people question the best age for knee replacement surgery as technology and medicine advances.
When looking for an orthopedic surgeon, it is best to find one who:
• Is board certified in orthopedic surgery
• Specializes in knee replacements
• Has experience treating patients with your condition
• Practices with high-quality outcomes in knee replacement or orthopedic surgery in general
• Accepts your insurance
• You are comfortable talking with and who fully answers your questions in a way you can understand
In order to simplify this process, follow these steps:
• Ask Around: Ask your friends, family and medical professionals for a referral. If you know someone who has had a knee replacement, ask them who performed the procedure.
• Research Credentials and Experience: Look into the surgeons experience. Are they board certified? This is easily verifiable online.
• Examine Performance: You want to find a surgeon that has a high success rate in the procedure that you require.
• Interview the Surgeon: When meeting with the surgeon, ask them the following questions
• Do you typically treat patients with my condition?
• How many knee replacements have you performed?
• What results do you usually see? Do you have outcomes data to share?
• Which complications do you encounter most often from the surgery?
• What do you do to circumvent complications or correct them if they do occur?
• Determine Your Insurance Benefit: Your insurance coverage is a functional matter. You need to choose a knee surgeon that participates in your plan to receive the most insurance benefits and pay the least out-of-pocket for your surgery.
Orthopedic surgeons perform knee replacement surgeries. They are experts in the musculoskeletal system and nearly any condition that affects it. Knee replacements are often needed when the tissues such as the tendons and ligaments are damaged in the knee. Therefore, an orthopedic surgeon is the best qualified medical professional to perform this procedure.
The newest common procedure for knee replacement is total knee replacement surgery. This is performed to replace a damaged knee joint. When compared to a traditional total knee replacement, a minimally invasive surgery uses a smaller cut (incision). So that the surgery team can see and do the procedure through the smaller incision, this type of surgery typically requires special tools. Minimally invasive total knee replacement is usually performed under general or spinal anesthesia.
If you or someone you know has a damaged knee that needs replacement, come to Dr. Paul Dicpinigaitis today! Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in knee replacement procedures and can help improve your quality of life. For more information on our knee replacement procedures, call our office and get in touch with a member of our specialist team. To book an appointment for a knee replacement, visit our website or speak with us over the phone today.